31 October 2007

Mulling it over

I have been mulling over something for a few days... opportunity.

This past weekend we watched the movie Evan Almighty. The movie makes the suggestion that when we pray for something God doesn't necessarily provide what we have asked him for (ie. patience) He provides the opportunity for us to choose to be patient.

Opportunity is a word that has a lot of scope and depth...room for vision and hope. This idea (from Evan Almighty) came to my thoughts again this morning as I continued my journey through the early part of the New Testament. Specifically, I was reading the story of the burning bush and Moses' responses and arguments back to God. God certainly gives Moses the opportunity to act through his fear; as well as many other opportunities at character building. In the next chapter the whole thing blows up when Pharaoh asks "Who do you think you are?" and the Israelites wonder why he ever came back to them and he says to God, "You haven't even begun to rescue them!" Opportunity...

How does that old saying go... "when opportunity knocks..."?

I am anxious to see how God continues to stir my heart over this whole idea... wondering what His specific opportunity to me will be ... and for the grace to accept it as His invitation to something greater in Him, with Him... like Moses (and Evan!).

Any thoughts on opportunity?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chazz said...

I read this post yesterday afternoon, and was reminded of it last night: Samuel was crying terribly in his crib -- he was uncomfortable and in pain from some shots he received at the doctor. I prayed for the Lord to comfort Sam, which is when I realized that perhaps God was giving ME this opportunity to conform Sam... As it turns out, I didn't do a very good job of it, and needed to hand him off to his mom... But the point about "opportunity" remains the same.

(Note to self: Next time you comfort a child, remove the lit cigar from your mouth).

November 2, 2007 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

God gives them all the time...everyday. Makes life very exciting, don't ya think?

November 6, 2007 at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home