16 November 2007

stirred

A friend of mine just posted this poem on his blog...

Christians

by Maya Angelou

"When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'".I'm whispering "I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.

"When I say... "I am a Christian" I don't speak of this with pride. I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not trying to be strong. I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not bragging of success. I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I'm not claiming to be perfect. My flaws are far too visible but, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian" I still feel the sting of pain...I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name."


I am stirred...
or maybe ashamed...

...probably because I have been the un-christian more often than I have been like Jesus to the world who judges "christians" in the ways she writes of. Why does their seem to be a tension between being fully authentic - a real person - and a devoted Christ follower? Where has the lie come from that the redeemed somehow trade in their humanity? And worse, why do I believe it?

I am stirred...
or maybe ashamed...

"... so I call on His Name."



Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

Lorrie,
I like this. A good friend is a fan of Maya. Miss you.

November 17, 2007 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Chazz said...

I also felt like this was very stirring, convicting, and authentic!

November 20, 2007 at 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home