05 May 2008

growing up


This morning I was almost brought to tears when Ethan brought me his beloved blankie and said. "I want to give this away. I am not going to suck my fingers anymore and so I don't need it. I am five now." He was so sincere and it was obvious that he believes that the key to him being successful at not sucking his fingers is to give his blankie away. I am not sure what is was about this moment that made my emotions rise to the surface...maybe the whisper in my soul "he is growing up".

A little later on I felt I needed to document this day with a picture and so I asked him to hold it. He laced his fingers through the ratty edge (the one that has been re-croched numerous times...you can see in the picture that most of it is missing again) like he always has and said "I need this a little bit more."

I am glad he isn't grown up just yet!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger noelle said...

That really is a special big boy moment. I still have MY blankie from my thumb sucking days in the bottom of my linen closet. I will hold onto my kiddos things until they are grown too.

My little man is choosing the potty over diapers these days. It is truly an end of an era here. Or at least the beginning of the end.

May 6, 2008 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

I'm glad he isn't too grown up yet for his blankie either, but it's amazing that he felt he had to make a decision to give it up. What a sweet boy.

May 6, 2008 at 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home