14 May 2008

a larger story

Ethan was at the doctor on Monday for his 5 year old wellness visit.

I love these appointments because you get to see things in your child that you don't always see at home in the daily. Once the doctor gets all the pertinent information from me that he needs he interacts with the child and I choose to step back and allow what will occur to occur without my influence. I observe their development on display with a mixture of delight and almost pain...what I see is always so beautiful it breaks my heart. As a mother I truly understand the quote, "Only beauty and affliction can pierce the human heart."

Ethan's visit did not disappoint.

While the doc asked me the things he needed to Ethan sat in the chair in his underwear casually looking through a book. Ethan's turn for questions came and though he didn't put his book down I could tell he was listening when the doctor started asking him a series of questions to get a gauge on his understanding of the world.

Dr: Do you know your colors? (places 5 blocks on the table and begins pointing to each waiting for a reply)
E: blue, red, yellow, green, red
Dr: Can you count the blocks?
E: (points to each as he says...) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Dr: What do you do with a banana?
E: put it in a basket
Dr: What? What do you do with a banana?
E: (still casually looking at the book) put it in a basket (I understand this because at home we pull apart our bananas and put them in a basket...dr does not! Dr looks at me as if to say...why would he say that?)
Dr: What does a monkey do with a banana?
E: He eats it.
Dr: Mommy is a woman. Daddy is a ...?
E: King (still casually flipping through his book)
Dr: What?
E: (looks up from his book directly at the doctor and says...)KING!

It still makes me laugh as I write it down! After a little chuckle, the doctor asked Ethan why daddy is a king to which he replied..."I am the knight, Daddy is the King, Mommy is the Queen." We had been pretending in the yard the previous evening and Ethan was still living in that story. Ethan is almost always living in a grand story of some kind. I was just delighted to know that we are a part of it too!


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

That's so cute. Glad the visit went well!

May 15, 2008 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I really loved this post about Ethan! He's such a special little guy full of so much potential!

May 18, 2008 at 6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home